Braised Brussels & Kalettes with Speck and Poached Eggs
Chef: Justine Schofield
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices of speck or pancetta, finely
- ½ a red chilli
- 4 spring onions, dark green tops trimmed
- 300g red Brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut into halves or quarters
- 200g kalettes cut in half
- ½ bunch English spinach, stalk trimmed
- Zest of half a lemon
- 15g Parmesan or pecorino, freshly grated
- 2 tbs. white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan, add speck over a medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to go golden brown. Add the garlic, chilli and spring onion and cook for a further minute until the garlic begins to go golden. Now add the brussel sprouts and cook for a few minutes. Then add the kalettes and toss in the fragrant speck and garlic oil. Season salt and pepper and then place a lid on. Turn to low heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Now add the spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan bring water and the vinegar to the boil, then, turn down to a simmer. Gently crack eggs individually into a glass and one at a time, slip into the water. Poach for 3 minutes until just set, then with a slotted spoon remove from the water and drain on paper towel. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- To finish the braised vegetables, add the lemon zest. Portion the vegetables on to two plates and sprinkle over the cheese. Make a nest in the centre and place the egg in the middle.
As seen on Everyday Gourmet Season 7.